Saturday 21 April 2012

N is for...

image



NORMAL!

A few years ago, I worked for a coffee company who have little kiosks in train stations. This meant the nature of the interaction with the customers was defined by speed. They were always in a rush. There was always a train about to leave that they needed to get so they need their drink now! RIGHT NOW! MY TRAIN'S LEAVING! HURRY UP!

It also meant people asked for things without thinking what they were saying. The most common of these was asking for something 'normal.' I used to get it as a reply for everything.

"What size would you like? Regular or large?"
"O, erm, just normal. A normal one."

Right, that's ridiculous isn't it? Because none of the sizes I've offered you are abnormal. What I want to say to them is, "yes, ok. So would you like normal regular or normal large?"

"Can I get a coffee?" they would ask, eyes on the train timetable, barely paying attention to you.
"Yes, what type of coffee would you like?"
"A normal one, you know."
No I don't! What do you mean? Just order a drink!
"What type of coffee?" I repeat. "Americano? Latte? Cappuccino?..."
"Um, yeh, a latte."

A latte? How is a latte more normal than a cappuccino or a mocha or an iced coffee? Or even an americano? That's a bit normal I guess, if anything. But often its a latte. That's normal, apparently.

Nonsense.

No comments:

Post a Comment