Monday 12 March 2012

Lucky? Really?

Ok, so I can't promise that my blogs are going to be especially high brow. My excuse is that my degree is full of serious things so I should be allowed time off for frivolity. Today's thoughts are very much frivolous.
I often imagine what I'd say to people I read about, I imagine the conversation which may arise. This happened today as I was nonchalantly flicking through this week's Chat magazine (right, don't mock, there's some real gems in there, as you will see). I was in the 'spiritual' section, and there is a photo of a key and a small caption, instructing me to put my finger on the key. As evidence that this is a good thing to do, there are little stories about what has happened to previous people who've touched the key. One woman says she tripped while running and almost broke her ankle, fortunately it was just a sprain. 'Phew!' says the woman.
I'm sorry! Phew? She said 'Phew'? She touched the key then fell over and sprained her ankle and said 'Phew'? And this is considered good evidence that I should follow suit? "What are you talking about?" I imagine myself saying to her. "What are you actually talking about? One of two things is going on here. Either, the key is a load of bollocks and you just fell over. No connection. In other words, it's just a picture of a key. Or, the key works and once you touched it, you sustained a relatively serious injury. You probably couldn't walk on it for a few days? Or maybe you just had to wear a big bandage and hobble? As you were hobbling onto the bus, say, to get to work, there's no seats so you have to stand on the painful ankle, you're wincing, everything hurts, you just want to sit down... did you then think, I'm so glad I touched that key because what luck I've had!"
The 'lucky' label, that's another thing I puzzle over. "O, that was lucky" people say, when avoiding potential disaster. Was it? Was almost dying 'lucky'? Maybe my standards are set too high, but 'luck' in my world is something a bit different, winning the lottery might be lucky, or a great job opportunity that you've happened upon by accident, or all the lights being on green when you're in a rush.
Deciding to go by bike instead of the tube for once, and then the tube being blown up by terrorists, is not 'lucky' as such, is it? If someone read your life story and saw that one day the tube you took was blown up by terrorists and you had decided not to take it that day, they'd think you'd had a narrow escape, surely? Not that you were 'lucky'?
Maybe I need to look up the dictionary definition of lucky? Or maybe I need to take figures of speech as they come, not think about why we say things that aren't really the case.
Another day I'll share my thoughts on the expression "I'm afraid...." as in "I'm afraid I don't have any change for a £20." (The main arguments in this case are that I feel no fear at all, and why should I? I'm just telling a customer I don't have any pound coins left?)

No comments:

Post a Comment